Sunday, March 28, 2010

Pho King Delicious in Northridge,CA


I decided to come to this place because of the grand opening and the funny name of the restaurant. As I walked in, I realized it wasn't your typical Vietnamese restaurant. You order at the the front with the cashier and they have a soda machine where you fill your drinks yourself. I think there is a lot of interior work that still needs to be done. For example, this place used to be called "Flames", which was a BBQ restaurant and they still have leftover signs (rotisserie, musical notes, guitar, etc) that do not pertain to this new restaurant. After you are done ordering, you can choose wherever you want to sit. The place is really clean compared to other Vietnamese restaurants I've been to, but then again this restaurant has only been open for a week or two. The menu has your typical soup noodle dishes,

I ordered the #2, which is the smaller version of the #1. The first thing I like to do to test if the pho is good or not is to take a sip of the broth. I personally think a flavorful broth can have a tremendous effect on the dish. So I tasted the broth and it wasn't bad, but the flavor just wasn't all there. I think the pho was fine because I always end up drenching my noodle soup with sriracha hot sauce and hoisin sweet sauce. My boyfriend actually had a more difficult time finishing his bowl because he felt the pho tasted pretty bland since he doesn't add sauce to his bowl. Usually the pho we order elsewhere has so much beefy flavor goodness, we don't even need to add sauce.

Overall, the waiters were extremely nice compared to a few Vietnamese restaurants I've been to. This place is fairly new so I think there is time for a few improvements and if they listen to some advice, I think they will do well. I think I'd only come back here again if they somehow made their pho more flavorful. Their prices are decent. After reviewing this place, I'd have to say I'd much rather go to Pho So 1, which is a few minutes away, but it's worth it for their food.

Pho King Delicious
9350 Corbin Ave.
Northridge, CA, 91324

No comments:

Post a Comment